Sunday, December 12, 2010

Thanksgiving Vegetable Dishes






San Michele di Ganzaria è un comune italiano di 3.779 abitanti della provincia di Catania in Sicilia. Dista 14 km da Caltagirone, 34 da Gela, 52 da Enna, 80 da Ragusa e 89 da Catania.
Il territorio si estende su una superficie di 25,59 km2 ad un'altezza media di 490 m s.l.m. in zona prevalentemente collinare nei pressi della montagna della Ganzaria a sud dei monti Erei, nella Sicilia centrale. La zona rurale è di gran lunga maggiore della urbana.
La fondazione del centro abitato risale all'anno 1000 e fu dovuta agli Arabi; ne è prova il fatto che alcuni nomi di contrade come Favara, Cuba, Giarrizza, hanno chiara etimologia araba.
Il casale continuò ad essere abitato anche dopo la cacciata degli Arabi e, durante la dominazione angioina, fu eretta la chiesa di San Michele Arcangelo detta anche "Fanum Gallorum", Tempio dei Francesi.
Il più antico document so far known on the estate of Ganzaria is an act of 1276 [1], which attests to the possession of the manor by William de Padula. He was succeeded by Attardo De Padua, and from these, the son Guglielmotto de La Timone. Then the estate was confiscated and then taking part in the rebellion against the king Caltagirone, 1394 Martin I and subsequently granted, perhaps around the 1395 to Ranieri Morana. It later passed into the hands of the powerful family of Caltagirone and then Modica Antonio Gravina, eldest son of Modica and Agata Vassallo Special Gravina, called "the war", captain in the armies of Charles V.
At the end of the fifteenth century, the house was destroyed by fire and the town was rebuilt Antonio Gravina with the conclusion of the chapters dated 25 September 1534. The country was populated by the Albanian refugees expelled from the Turkish occupation. Chapters were confirmed in 1554 by the Viceroy Ferdinand De Vega, with the Baron Antonio Gravina they gave to the exiles greek-Albanian "tuctu lu feudu of the Sanctuaire Micheli and TUCTA Sausetta Soprana. Gravina Antonio died in 1558 and was buried in the chapel attached to the baronial castle later known as the Carmelite church was destroyed again in World War II. The barony was later elevated to a duchy in 1625 courtesy of King Philip IV of Spain.
After the abolition of feudalism, San Michele di Ganzaria became common in 1812. In 1832 he was visited by royalty of Naples, Ferdinando II delle Due Sicilie e Maria Teresa d'Austria che lasciarono in dono 100 monete d'oro affinché venisse rifatto il pavimento della chiesa madre.


0 comments:

Post a Comment